Digital Media Producer II
Chicago, IL (Hybrid)
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Digital Media Producer on our Scientific Publishing team. This position can be hybrid (working from both office and home), with a schedule to be determined by business needs.
As a Digital Media Producer II, you will create engaging and educational video content
for the JAMA Network. Successful candidates will have skills in a variety of
areas – writing, research, graphics, animation, video production, and editing.
Creates custom video content for The JAMA Network
- Write/edit/pitch scripts that translate into informative, engaging, and shareable videos for a sophisticated audience of researchers and medical professionals
- Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Suite and other tools to edit compelling and visually engaging, scientifically accurate, and thoughtful video productions
- Occasionally serves as on-camera host or narrator for video content based on scientific research.
- Work with editors, authors, subject matter experts, and the Digital Media team to translate complex ideas, research, data, and concepts into interesting video content
- Assist in other aspects of video production as needed (filming, lighting, audio, etc.)
- Provide direction and feedback to video subjects for in-house videos
- Keep current with best practices in video production and delivery through ongoing training and research
- Collaborate with podcast and social teams to create promotional products across the multimedia team
Publishes and distributes video content for The JAMA Network
- Work with medical editors and manuscript editors to ensure that all required metadata and supplemental content for video content is added to JAMA’s internal database and content management system in final edited format
- Upload video content to Brightcove and other publishing platforms
- Generate XML wrapper, creates XML package, uploads package to the Silverchair web publishing platform
- Maintain a library of creating content that can be repurposed for future use
May include other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; master's degree in Journalism, Communication or Video Production with an emphasis on Science, Health, and Environmental Reporting preferred.
- Experience producing animations and web videos using Adobe Creative Cloud or similar software required. Portfolio of previous work required.
- Experience hosting or narrating videos for the web and social media, as well as experience working with timely news content a plus.
- Strong background in nonfiction storytelling, science journalism, blogging, or science communication.
- Experience as a visual storyteller -- using either motion graphics, a camera, or animations, with some degree of experience in all three required. Knowledge of sound design and audio recording is a plus.
- Knowledge of live streaming technology and production and strong motion graphics, typography, and animation experience a plus.
- Strong skills in typography, layout, and design preferred. Comfortable shooting video in the field and in the studio.
- A self-starter, enterprising, and driven with the aptitude and strong motivation to learn new technical skills and tools and apply them quickly to projects on an ongoing basis required.
- Careful attention to editorial detail and ability to accurately perform quality review required. Ability to review and provide constructive feedback on the work of other staff required.
- Able to work collaboratively or independently with minimal supervision with the ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects required.
- AMA’s safety and policy protocols require proof of full vaccination against COVID19 for employment at AMA (including booster when eligible). Employees may apply for a religious or medical exemption from getting the vaccine.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION