To be part of the JAMA Network is to be part of our Mission to promote the science and art of medicine and the betterment of public health. Join the JAMA team as a Manuscript Editor. In this role, you will edit scientific articles written by physicians and researchers for a specialized medical readership of clinicians and academicians.
Responsibilities will include:
- Edits technical medical articles, including tables, equations, graphs, and citations, with an XML-based electronic publishing system to improve the quality of reporting and ensure clarity, accuracy, precision, readability, technical and scientific accuracy, and integrity of content while maintaining strict conformity to AMA style, substantively rewriting copy as necessary.
- Substantively edits abstracts, including verification of data, inclusion of standard abstract headings, and cutting lines for space when needed.
- Understands specific requirements for different types of medical research articles (clinical trials, meta-analyses, etc).
- Edits figures to conform to AMA style and to ensure the integrity and clarity of tabular and graphics content, ensuring all figure types follow AMA style for that figure (Kaplan-Meier curves, forest plots, etc); checking calculations for consistency between text and figures; and editing or creating figure legends, explaining all symbols and abbreviations.
- Performs research for clarification and verification of medical terms, technical terms, AMA style, drug names, correct units of measure, reference citations, and statistical tests, and does mathematical conversions to the international system of units (SI) as necessary.
- Moves content through editing and production cleanly and quickly, meeting all deadlines and updating the content management system at each step in the process.
- Verifies that all editorial policies are followed for every article; alerts manager of major problems or if publication date needs to be changed because of problems.
- Accurately prepares all online-only content, including supplemental material plus cover page, short title, and short article summary.
- Queries and resolves inconsistencies and ambiguities while maintaining clarity, precision, readability, accuracy, and integrity of manuscript and ensuring use of AMA style; negotiates approval of edited text, figures, and tables, obtaining any necessary figure or table permissions and last-minute revisions.
- Addresses author questions and resolves any conflicts between author requests and editorial policies and technical production capability, including deadline disputes on time-sensitive material.
- Resolves authorship/byline/corresponding author disputes while remaining consistent with JAMA Network editorial policies regarding authorship, conflict of interest disclosure, embargo, etc; understands editorial policies and communicates them correctly to authors.
- Performs liaison duties between the author, the editor, and the editorial and production staff throughout the publication process and postpublication (eg, ensures that all materials meet deadlines, that the author is informed of changes in publication date, etc); postpublication, investigates any error that occurred in an article ensuring that the error is corrected.
- Ensures completeness of all acknowledgments; edits references as needed.
- Confirms all necessary permissions; checks authorship forms, conflict of interest disclosure statements, data responsibility statement, author contributions.
- Reads proofs word for word to verify conformity to editorial and author changes, making changes and rewriting as necessary, and adding last-minute author and editorial changes as required; ensures all sections and headings are accurate for article type (abstract, Key Points, etc). Checks citation, format, and placement of figures and tables within the text; verifies figure legends. Checks citation and organization of online supplemental content.
- Cuts lines if needed for page fit.
- Checks links and tagging to ensure quality publication online; verifies that article-to-article links are accurate and displaying properly.
- Minimum qualifications of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, communications, English, or biological or physical sciences.
- Three or more years of related experience preferably as a manuscript editor, or proofreader for a medical, scientific, or technical publication.
- Background in science, knowledge of medical terminology, and familiarity with AMA Manual of Style and research methods.
Familiarity with electronic editing software and content management systems.
- High level of concentration required to edit; attention to detail critical.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills required in regular and frequent contacts with authors, editors, and production staff.
- Ability to organize and assign priority to assignments and to function well under strong pressure to meet fixed deadlines.
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION