Digital Media Producer II (Video)
Chicago, IL (Hybrid)
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Digital Media Producer II (Video) on our Scientific Publishing team. This is a hybrid position reporting into our Chicago, IL office, requiring 3 days a week in the office.
As a Digital Media Producer II (Video) you will create visually compelling and informative videos about science and medicine for the JAMA Network, a group of 13 leading peer-reviewed medical journals. The ideal candidate is a creative visual storyteller who can engage with medical and scientific research. The person in this role will work on all aspects of video creation, including concept development, script writing, production, visuals development, editing, etc. Successful candidates will have skills in a variety of areas, such as research, writing, camera, lighting, editing, motion graphics, or animation.
Video production, editing, and custom visuals
· Produce and edit a variety of videos, including explainers, Q&As, short documentaries, and clinical education videos
· Assist with on-location and in-studio video production (camera, lighting, audio, directing subjects, etc.)
· Create custom visuals for videos by shooting b-roll, stop motion, creating motion graphics, or animating
· Collaborate with podcast and social teams to create videos for a variety of platforms
Idea generation and script development
· Read medical research and work collaboratively to develop video concepts. Contribute to editorial strategy.
· Conduct research on video topics, including interviewing researchers, physicians, and patients
· Collaboratively and independently write scripts for an audience of researchers and medical professionals as well as the general public
· Occasionally serve as on-camera host or voiceover narrator
Video content publishing and distribution
- Work with various teams across JAMA Network to ensure that all video-related assets and metadata are accurate and delivered on time, and are added to an internal database and content management system
- Upload video content to Brightcove, YouTube, and other publishing platforms
- Generate XML packages, upload to web publishing platform, and perform quality control checks
May include other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; master's degree in journalism, communication, or video production with an emphasis on science, health, or environmental reporting preferred.
- 5+ years video production experience.
- Must provide portfolio of previous video work required.
- Strong background in nonfiction, editorial, or educational video storytelling required. A background as a video journalist, visual journalist, documentary filmmaker, or science communicator preferred.
- Strong writing skills required. Experience hosting or narrating videos a plus.
- Demonstrated experience creating motion graphics or animations along with Strong production skills shooting video in the field and in the studio preferred.
- Knowledge of sound design and audio recording a plus.
- Knowledge of live streaming technology and production a plus
- A self-starter who can learn new skills and apply them quickly on an ongoing basis required.
- Careful attention to editorial detail and ability to accurately perform quality review required.
- Able to work collaboratively or independently with minimal supervision with the ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects required.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION